- This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 3 months ago by Birdcurtains.
- Monday, December 20th, 2021 at 09:28 #52333Neanderthal888Participant
I suspect, like me, a lot of people who are investing a lot of money into MATIC don’t really know the answer to this big relevant question.
So I’d love to get this question cleared up for myself and others.
As we know, Rollups don’t necessitate a token seperate to Eth. They can simply use Eth as their token.
So the question is, what does that mean for MATIC and Eth?
* Will trading using Polygons solutions require you to use MATIC only?
* Or will you trade in ETH and just use MATIC as a governance token?
* Will you have the ability do do both as you please?
* Or does it differ depending which Polygon solution you’re using? (i.e. Avail, Zero, Miden, Hermez, Nightfall)
If anyone can help clear this up, it would be great.
Thanks,Monday, December 20th, 2021 at 09:36 #52335Tietzy88
Who said rollups will be eth exclusive? Zk rollups can be used go scale any chain and maybe matic will offer their solutions to other l1 chainsMonday, December 20th, 2021 at 09:48 #52337AESTHTK
Probably ETH, although they can be gasless or use babel fees in certain applications as well.
Matic will likely be used to secure and incentivise sequencers and provers.Monday, December 20th, 2021 at 17:21 #52338incontempt
All great questions. I have the same questions.
I think we the hoi polloi are a bit out of the loop when it comes to the future of the token. I saw an interview with Sandeep a couple weeks ago that indicated that there will be a rebrand of the matic token and that it will be used to pay for the various solutions envisioned to be part of the polygon network. I don’t remember where I saw that interview though and I have to get to work now so I’m not going to look for it.Monday, December 20th, 2021 at 21:45 #52339Birdcurtains
I think this is THE big question regarding the future of the MATIC token, and I don’t believe there is a clear answer yet. I’m not tech savvy but I try to keep up. My understanding is that the MATIC token is not (currently) essential to running all of the various Polygon-based projects. As others have noted, I suppose zk could be used to scale Polygon, but I think the focus so far has justifiably been put on scaling ETH. So while we’re all here speculating on zk having some impact on the MATIC token, I’m not sure that’s a guarantee. Tbh, I’m not even sure if zk rollups require a token to function, much like Arbitrum. Unless Polygon plans to charge for their use, in which case they’re putting themselves in the position of charging for a service that someone else may roll out for free.
As others in this thread have mentioned, the Polygon team has said that they plan on doing….something…to unify the use of the MATIC token across the various projects, but I believe they are also on record saying they are not going to talk about it until it’s ready, as to avoid speculation. I don’t have a direct link to that interview though.Tuesday, December 21st, 2021 at 02:50 #52336marty6001
Here is the best answer your going to get.
From the Polygon co founders last month.
TL,DW (too lazy, didnt watch)
Dont worry, be happy!!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Is the Matic bridge working? I keep getting that loading circle.And if I’m bridging MATIC Erc20 to Polygon network, do I still need ETH to pay gas fees or do I pay gas with my MATIC tokens?
- → Why are rollups called rollups?
- → I just bought 1.02 ETH at the rate of $1,460 per ETH. I may buy another 31 ETH, if it falls to $1000. I now have 155.78 ETH to date. 150 ETH are currently staked at CB at 3.67% APR for ETH2 rewards. Becoming an ETH Validator will allow me to earn about 1% more. Is that even worth it? GLTA!!!