- This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 week, 1 day ago by 0delta.
- Monday, November 21st, 2022 at 22:59 #408418Spades_999Participant
Dont know much about lightning network other than it has low or no fees and instant transfers so my question is why doesnt everybody just use lightning for transfers of any size?Monday, November 21st, 2022 at 23:06 #408420castorfromtheva
Devs will tell you it’s still experimental. Apart of that (or maybe because of that), as of now lightning transactions are limited in size.
On top, those who find 1st layer bitcoin is complicated to use (ignorance?, dunno) might say lightning is even more complicated. But it’s not.
Look into muun wallet. It’s great for newcomers and very easy to use, both onchain (1st layer) and offchain (2nd layer = lightning). Lightning is growing at a really fast pace, just give it still some time. The herd is coming…eventually finding out, lightning is really awesome!Monday, November 21st, 2022 at 23:16 #408419Ima_Wreckyou
We don’t actually know how much gets transferred over the Lightning network. Which is rather nice if you think about it.Monday, November 21st, 2022 at 23:22 #4084210delta
The bigger the amount, the less chance to find a path where channels will have enough capacity in the given direction. If you manage your own node with a direct channel to the receiver, you control and observe how much capacity it has. For example, Bitfinex has a huge node and allows lightning deposits upto 5 btc!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Defi will run on top of lightning. Decentralised social media will run on top of lightning. The “metaverse” will run on top of lightning. Lightning is the protocol that will sit between the internet as we know it and apps as we know them. Every app on earth will run on top of lightning.
- → In just 3 weeks, Kraken hits 2,500 BTC ($105 million) in BTC Lightning transactions since enabling Lightning Network deposits and withdrawals [Crypto News]
- → 3 years. 1 Billion transactions. 26 Million accounts. 22 Million blocks created. 4 second transactions with instant finality. $.0003 transaction fees. Carbon Negative. No downtime or costly failed transactions. No network reboots. No inflated transaction metrics. Algorand is the future of finance.