- This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 1 week ago by savinelli_smoker.
- Monday, July 25th, 2022 at 03:15 #344485akasaka99Participant
Hi, I bought two different hardware wallets in case one company goes bust as backup. I wonder if it possible to use my seed phrase (24 words) from one wallet in the other wallet and have access to my bitcoins? ThanksMonday, July 25th, 2022 at 03:21 #344486senfmeister
Yes, as long as both use the same derivation path. Most do.Monday, July 25th, 2022 at 03:22 #344487Blockchainauditor
If both use the BIP39 standard, and both allow 12 or 24 word import, you should be able to duplicate your keys with the same phrase in both wallets.Monday, July 25th, 2022 at 03:25 #344488blockplate
You can import your seed phrase into any wallet that:
– supports the specific structure (seed format, i.e. how it was created, BIP39)
– knows how to find those coins i.e. derivation paths (BIP 44, 84, 89)
– supports the coin itself (bitcoin, etc.)
Luckily, [most wallets do follow BIP39](https://www.blockplate.com/blogs/blockplate/list-of-bip39-wallets-mnemonic-seed) for mnemonic phrases and utilize standard derivation paths.
If your interested in learning more about seed phrases, checkout r/seedstorageMonday, July 25th, 2022 at 04:10 #344489savinelli_smoker
You got it OP. This is the point of the seed phrase. Hardware wallet doesn’t matter, knowledge of the key is all you need to secure.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Forgot to write down the seed phrase for my terra wallet. but still have access to my wallet. I can’t seem to find how to view my seed phrase again when I’m inside the wallet. is there a way to check it again so I can write it down?
- → Hello, is there a way to get your seed phrase on ccvault/eternl wallet? i’m logged in but can’t find where i can access the seed phrase again for record keeping..cheers
- → Keplr…what the heck is private key? I just want my seed phrase…what is this private nonsense. What purpose does it serve…every other wallet I use…just need seed phrase. I don’t understand and people can’t seem to answer a straight question anymore without fluff and endless bs
- → How hard is it to find out the correct seed phrase from a random ordered seed phrase?
- → What are the benefits of a hardware wallet if you’re going to backup your seed phrase anyway?
- → If I lost my Yoroi Wallet seed phrase, is there a way to recover it within the wallet app? You can do this in Trust Wallet but I haven’t been able to find the option in Yoroi.
- → I bought an NFT from Solanart using my Phantom wallet. I had a small remaining balance left in my wallet. Days later I checked and my wallet was cleared out. The remaining funds were sent to an address that I didn’t authorize. I never released my seed phrase to anyone. Has this happened to anyone?
- → It’s your turn: Seed phrase solutions and hardware wallets
- → Would hiding my seed phrase on a page of random seed words be secure?
- → The 25th seed word: how to still keep your assets safe even if you lose your seed phrase.
- → Why is Yoroi wallet recovery phrase so much shorter than of Daedalus? Would it be safer to create a wallet with a 24 long recovery phrase in Daedalus and recover it in Yoroi?
- → Safe Seed Metal Book Stamp Kit / $100 BTC / 1,000 Moons Giveaway! Secure Your Crypto Seed Phrases With Safe Seed Titanium, Copper, and Stainless Steel Metal Books!
- → Aside from the name of your terra wallet chrome extension and your seed phrase, what else should you handwrite so that you will never be locked out of your terra station wallet?
- → Reminder about Cold Wallets: NEVER EVER enter your seed phrase ANYWHERE except INTO THE COLD WALLET. And ONLY if you’re RESTORING the wallet
- → software wallets that allow you to have a different secret recovery phrase per wallet? When I look in Phantom I have 2 wallets but I only have 1 secret recovery phrase and key