- This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Eru_Iluvatarh.
- Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:41 #350360Ra3xParticipant
is it currently possible to trade an actual security like an Apple-stock through DeFi? I would say no, since DeFi would have to access the TradFi ledger to legally change ownership. It is only possible:
(1) If Apple gives out a token that works like it’s stock in the first place
(2) To trade a synthetic version of the stock that has nothing to do with actually owning the stock.
Is this correct? Is there maybe a solution, that works similar to Tether, where the seller locks in the Apple-Stock with a CEX that gives out the representation in DeFi? If the buyer then wants to get the stock, the company changes the off-chain ownership in return for the token.Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:41 #350361omniumoptimus
It’s a hard question to answer. It not always true, and not always false.
At the end of the day, you need to answer the question of enforcement. IF we agree to transfer ownership of X, and that transfer does not occur in real life, what’s the remedy?Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:41 #350362Righteous_Mushroom
Consider how it really works with TradFi though – when you buy apple stock from e-trade (or other broker) you don’t actually own the stock, you own rights with the broker based on that stock, which is why when these parties go bankrupt you quickly learn that don’t actually own the stock at all. Nobody is sending actual stock certificates in today’s world, so I’m not sure DeFi needs to reach that level either.
Fairmint is helping startups tokenize their equity, so their actual stock is truly represented in blockchain tokens.Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:41 #350363Eru_Iluvatarh
This is what FTX does. The AAPL token IS the ownership same as a paper equity. You don’t need anything else because ownership is only a legal thing inside of a computer nowadays. It’s just the medium that changes. They can even distribute dividends to holders as USDC if they want to. For those that are holding the AAPL token.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Hi guys, wanted to know if I can list an NFT as not for sale on Solsea and just transfer the ownership to my friends later? instead of selling. Do let me know if you have any idea.
- → If I’m on c-chain, how do I transfer to the x or p chain?
- → C chain to P chain transfer, very dangerous
- → Is there a way to prove ownership of BTC at an address without actually making an ok chain transaction?
- → How about replay attack after chain split, it seems the ethw messed up with chain id. This could lead to replay attack on ethw and eth chain as well.
- → Polygon and it’s ecosystem are hands down the best chain for DeFi and the dApps on the chain are immaculate.
- → Need to move assets cross chain? There’s a new kid on the block and it’s called Stargate Finance. As of now it connects 7 platforms with more to come. It also offers defi with amazing returns on stable coins. I hope this helps for anyone in need to move assets cross chain w ease!
- → To play multi-chain DeFi, you need to know about cross-chain bridges
- → I’ve lived and breathed Defi for over a year now, here are my best low-risk Defi strategies for each major chain
- → Been hearing some questions about DeFi and DeFi 2.0. That’s alright peeps, believe me even for experienced users, DeFi can be challenging to understand.
- → Indian govt’s latest clown show: 20% TDS on DeFi transactions! They want DeFi protocols to deduct 20% tax. These clowns dont even understand anything about crypto or defi
- → It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the Foundation to boost DeFi yields. DeFi protocols should distribute their own governance tokens to boost yields just like every other DeFi protocol on every other blockchain.
- → Krew Launches Klaytn-based DeFi Accelerator to Support Next Wave of DeFi Startups, is it the future of Korean DeFi?
- → DeFi frens, what are your top tricks for finding the best Defi farms, and what are your favorite DeFi ecosystems?
- → from talking to lawyers and devs for the last two weeks re: sanctions stuff, I think USGoV has won Andre Cronje’s prediction that DeFi will divide into “regulated DeFi” and “badlands DeFi” has come true and most blue-chip projects will embrace the former