- This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by danda.
- Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:42 #350364OuladParticipant
I want to generate Monero private keys safely but without using a hardware wallet.
What would you suggest?
Is it possible to use Tails OS? I would disconnect the HDD from my existing PC, connect USB key preloaded with Tails OS and Monero wallet CLI, disconnect from internet and then generate keys. Tails OS shouldn’t track anything and my HDD was disconnected the whole time. Do you see any security threats in that approach? Would there be a danger an attacker sees the key? Would you destroy the USB key?
Also, can you still generate Monero private keys without downloading the entire blockchain?Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:42 #350365BusyBoredom
Tails is fine, and you don’t have to remove your hard drive. Tails already doesn’t mount other drives without explicit admin privileges.
Tails is honestly probably good enough for Jeff Bezos levels of Monero.
Edit: Yep, you can generate your seed without an internet connection or downloading the blockchain.Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:42 #350366dolskar
I would recommend creating an offline “paper” wallet. Here’s [a really secure guide](https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/sv3kul/paper_wallet_how_to_create_a_paper_xmr_wallet/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3) for setting it up with Tails, and here’s a [simpler guide](https://www.getmonero.org/resources/user-guides/securely_purchase.html).Saturday, August 6th, 2022 at 18:42 #350367danda
also don’t forget there are risks unique to generating keys WITH a hardware wallet.
imho, you are on the right path avoiding hardware wallet.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → If I have 60 characters of a 64 character in the right sequence but with gaps or breaks due to blurring of the private key for a Metamask wallet and the wallet no., can I brute force guess the private key 🔑 and access the wallet? Is there software I can use to brute force guess the private key 🔑 ?
- → Are new private key and public key pairs generated for each transaction or is one private and public key pair associated with a wallet address which can be reused for multiple transactions?
- → I have a private key (not seed phrase) from a wallet. It’s a list of numbers. CLI expects an array of numbers. How do I convert the private key to the format the CLI expects?
- → Ledger and yoroi (or just any cardano software wallet) use different derivation paths to create the private key from the recovery phrase + passphrase (25th word/phrase). Assuming in 50 years Ledger goes out of business, is there any documentation on how to manually derive the correct private key fro
- → Keplr…what the heck is private key? I just want my seed phrase…what is this private nonsense. What purpose does it serve…every other wallet I use…just need seed phrase. I don’t understand and people can’t seem to answer a straight question anymore without fluff and endless bs
- → Trying to help someone decrypt a 2016 official myetherwalletdotcom encrypted private key. We have the encrypted private key and password. Any ideas?
- → How can I verify that a system is generating legit Private Key and Native SegWit address pairs?
- → Confused between Public Key, Private Key and Wallet address
- → Is it possible to enter a ETH Private key in a hardware wallet?
- → The difference between public key cryptography and private key cryptography in Cryptology
- → Can’t transfer Keplr Wallet to Terra Station Wallet (Private Key)
- → Will BTC showed in my non-LN wallet as well if I receive with a LN-compatible wallet using the same recover phase(private key)?
- → How can a node know you signed a tx without seeing the private key?
- → Bulk key pair generating
- → Bruteforcing BTC for generating private keys to check on existing wallets – or why keys are safe.