- This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 months ago by mredda.
- Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387474FIAT_IS_TRASHParticipant
Proof of work incentivizes humans to find wasted energy and make better use of it. This sets in place a positive feedback loop of improving technologies to harvest energy all over the planet. How does proof of stake incentivize ppl?Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387475Environmental_Ad7246
How is brute forcing a number a good use of energy?Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387476Maswasnos
Proof of work incentivizes people to use cheap energy in whatever form it takes, generally this manifests as industrial deals with large-scale power companies using fossil fuels.
Proof of Stake incentivizes people to operate the chain safely and securely, and to perform validation duties in accordance with the rules of the chain software.Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387477FaceDeer
First you make a couple of assertions about proof of work without backing them up with anything, then you ask how proof-of-stake accomplishes something that is not actually something that is proof-of-stake’s goal to accomplish.
“Magnets lift objects to orbital altitude and get them up to orbital speed. This has been used to launch probes to Mars. How does proof of work help us learn more about Mars?”Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387478csoups
Your rationalizations of wasted energy and better uses for it are going to be very different from almost everyone else’s, in this subreddit and on this planet. If profit and economic reward perfectly aligned with value to society we wouldn’t have tragedy of the commons problems and other economic capture problems. You could argue proof of work optimizes profit, but you’d have an extremely hard time claiming that it optimizes for other concerns like environmental. Anybody with an early undergraduate understanding of economics should understand this. The fact you’re on here peddling this crap shows you’re naive, hold a myopic worldview, and are thinking more for yourself and your wallet and less about the planet and other people on it.Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 at 16:33 #387479mredda
Read this article to get a complementary point of view.
I am open to discussion.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Proof of Work, Proof of Stake & Pure Proof of Stake: An Evolution in Distributed Consensus
- → Algorand: Proof of Work, Proof of Stake & Pure Proof of Stake: An Evolution in Distributed Consensus [Crypto News]
- → After years of anticipation, Ethereum’s seismic shift from Proof-of-Work to Proof-of-Stake went off without a hitch. Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin said he is “absolutely excited about being exited from the proof-of-work era.” GLTA!!!