- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months, 1 week ago by [deleted].
- Thursday, June 23rd, 2022 at 10:15 #316919magicpogosticksParticipant
Disclaimer I am super bullish on both Polkadot and gaming.
My cousin considers me far more advanced than him in the understanding/experience with both Polkadot and gaming on Avax. He asked me what the differences were between the dot parachain and avax’s forum category chains and I was not able to answer him.
Looking forward to some insight as I am fairly new (~2 years) to the space as wellThursday, June 23rd, 2022 at 10:15 #316920antiwrappingpaper
The biggest difference is the shared security that exists in the Polkadot network compared to Avalanche. This trade-off provides Polkadot more security across its heterogenous network, while providing Avalanche higher tx finality speed
On Polkadot the security is inherited from the Relay Chain, so parachains only need collators, not validators (the relay chain validators are assigned to Parachains to do the validation of the shared state on each block). This also enables XCM (cross-chain messaging format) between parachains/parathreads on Polkadot, which is way more secure than regular blockchain bridges (assets are being teleported between chains, rather than deposited and wrapped on a bridge), however it also restricts the network to a higher transaction finality speed (approx 6-12 sec finality)
On Avalanche, the security is supposed to be shared by nodes that validate both the C-chain and a subnet. Each subnet can only have 1 node assigned, but each node can technically validate multiple subnets. However, even if this is how is supposed to work in theory in the future, currently there’s no nodes that validate both the C-chain and subnets (so there’s no shared security). This enables the networks to perform at very fast transaction finality speeds (approx 1 sec finality) but this also result in subnets needing bridges to communicate with each other, without a universal secure format being required.
CheersThursday, June 23rd, 2022 at 10:15 #316921[deleted]
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → Does Polkadots success mostly depends on the success of it’s parachains
- → I am very dumb person, who doesn’t understand a shit about technology. But what is the difference between Polkadot parachains and Binance smart chain or ERC20?
- → What is the difference between a “crowdloan” and an “auction” and can I use my Ledger in multiple parachains?
- → My company wants to buy some BTC on our balance sheet to hedge against inflation,as a futuristic move etc. Tried multiple options, Coinbase corporate account etc but found multiple roadblocks/companies taking too long to respond etc. Has anyone successfully worked on the process & can guide us ?
- → Layer 2 tokens and the difference between chains and wallets
- → If you thought CBDC’s are here to help people, here is some clarity from Bank of International Settlement’s head: “With cash, we dont know who is using a $100 bill and who is using a 1000 pesos bill. A key difference in CBDC is that the central bank will have absolute control over its use.”
- → How do I transfer AVAX Between Avalanche X-, P-, and C-Chains?
- → Being a little kind towards newbies won’t take anything away from us. As a sub, we should be guiding the new people entering this sub rather than scaring them away by being rude.
- → Is it best to get involved in all of the top 10 chains? Or should I focus my capital to some chains and LP’s?
- → Arbitrum :Announcing AnyTrust Chains- Cheaper, Faster L2 Chains with Minimal Trust Assumptions
- → Hi! Looking to invest in AVAX for long term (5 to 10 years). Is it worth it to invest at the current rate of about $88? And considering the circulating supply currently 220.3 million & market cap $19.5 billion, what is the highest that AVAX can realistically/conservatively go? Thanks for help
- → Anchor on other chains like sol etc
- → Am I the only one that thinks Polkadots staking system sucks?
- → I can’t unstake my polkadots in the fearless wallet…. Does anyone know what’s going on with the Fearless wallet? This is the first time I’ve had this experience, not being able to unstake in fearless
- → What’s the best wallet that lets me easily see all my Parachain tokens and so on? (Without having to switch between parachains, and add account to them all)