- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Abdulllahmohsinn.
- Saturday, July 2nd, 2022 at 19:09 #325084Throwaway4VPNParticipant
With Celcius and Voyager halting withdrawals the realization that leaving crypto on an exchange or custodial protocol comes with risks.
Remember one of the first use cases? “Be your own bank”
Understandably the cost of a Ledger or Trezor may outweigh the portfolio – or you may live in an area where the postal system simply isn’t going to get one to you.
Have an old USB drive? Then it’s time to install the wallets for the crypto you have directly on the drive.
I would recommend
Electrum for BTC
Monero GPU for Monero
Install Chrome on the USB and have MetaMask for Ethereum/BSC/Polygon and any other EVM chain
Do some research and get the official wallet for whichever token or coin you want to withdraw.
*Make sure you have the seed words for each wallet written down!*
It’s not quite as secure as a hardware wallet, but while that USB is unplugged your private keys are not touching the computer or internet. Save your wallet addresses on your computer so you can withdraw without connecting the USB. The only time you would have to connect would be to broadcast a transaction which takes only a few seconds.
This can be done for a couple of $ or even free if you can find a USB drive laying around. Don’t think because it’s “only” $10 you should leave it – $10 means different things to different people!Saturday, July 2nd, 2022 at 19:09 #325085Abdulllahmohsinn
Cold wallet > Hot wallet > Centralized exchanges in that order.
Ps. Metamask might be offputting for newbies for them I’d recommend Exodus, Trust or C98 all support a bunch of chains and are pretty solid.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Related Forum Topics:
- → With everything going on with Canada and Trudeau, I worry people are rushing into self-custody without understanding how to protect their money. Here are the three categories and 9 attacks you have to understand before self custody.
- → Nunchuk BTC wallet epic response to Canadian government demand to freeze bitcoin “Nunchuk is a free to use self-custodial wallet. Not an intermediary. Please look up how self-custody and private keys work. When the Canadian dollar becomes worthless, we will be here to serve you too.”
- → This week I finally did it. I had over 1 BTC all over the place, Gemini, Nexo, BlockFi…. Not anymore. All of it is now in cold storage. Stop contributing to the abundance of BTC on exchanges and take self custody! [Image]
- → My friends and I want a cold wallet, but we’re concerned that our country’s customs officer will tamper with the device (they always freely open it). Does resetting the cold wallet after they’ve been tampered makes them safe to use? Or are there some advanced tamper chips that will survive resets
- → Reminder about Cold Wallets: NEVER EVER enter your seed phrase ANYWHERE except INTO THE COLD WALLET. And ONLY if you’re RESTORING the wallet
- → Simple recipe for free or low cost secure self-custody (no HW wallet needed!)
- → It seems users’ won’t be able to withdraw BTC to a self-custody wallet according to Russia’s new bill
- → Could someone please explain why you have more custody over your bitcoins if you use a cold rather than hot wallet?
- → Can you stake crypto inside a self-custodial account like a hot or cold (hardware) wallet?
- → Complete crypto newbie here. Forgive me….Living in Canada, what’s the best (cold wallet)? to put a bitcoin in? My wife and I have decided to buy one. Is this easy to do? We just want to buy one coin, and have it taken into cold storage, to hang on for a rainy day. That’s it. Suggestions? Thank you
- → Aside from Ledger and Nano Hardware wallets, are there any cold storage wallets currently under development that supports ETH? Are there new features and inventions in the cold storage wallet industry?
- → Any BTC credit cards that will let you self custody and give you a credit limit on your BTC?
- → Self-Custody Terms every new Bitcoiner should know!
- → Want to self-custody, but don’t know where to start? -> Here is a small list of resources to help
- → #weALGOoffexchanges: I will buy you a Raspberry Pi 4 and help you set up a node on it. You must migrate at least 1,000 Algo off an exchange and preach the gospel of self custody and run it for one year.